Friday 31 August 2012

Holiday snaps

Hello,  I am back from my holiday!  As suspected, I was technically incapable of posting while I was away, but I will make up for it by showing some interesting finds in the next couple of weeks.  Meanwhile, here are some snaps, mostly taken in my parents' home town of Pucisca on the island of Brac.  (I like to do my bit for the local tourist board.)
 Above: the view from my aunt's terrace is fantastic.
 Above: The annual procession of the Feast of the Assumption.
Above: my expectant cousin Iva looks for her dog in front of the lighthouse that our late grandfather once looked after.
 Above: bathers at the 'post office' pier.  My aunt sits among them.
 Above and below: the market in Split.

Above: the city of Split is famous for its Roman palace, built as a retirement home for the emperor Diocletian in the fourth century A.D.  Some time after the fall of the Empire, ordinary citizens took it over, and have been living in its nooks and crannies ever since.  It's a fantastic place to visit.
 Above: the church in Supetar, another town on the island of Brac.
 Above: sad bin.
Above: sad tourist.  Not me.

8 comments:

jenni said...

welcome home Sandra, looks like a beautiful place & even better when there are family connections :)

A latte beckons said...

Welcome home! While you were away the ABC showed a series of Three Men in a Boat which was set on the Dalmatian coast -- they even went to Split! We kept yelling at the TV, that's right near Sandra's island!!

We missed you. Alice kept asking when you were coming home.

renilde said...

wonderful pics Sandra, i recognize your style in them, your colours, welcome back, x

Saskia said...

Welcome back Sandra! Swoon-worthy photos, especially the view from your Aunt's window - how does she ever manage to leave her home? What a beautiful country.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Sandra, what a beautiful place. Heaven. Lucky you to have family there.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thanks so much Jenni, Kate, Renilde, Saskia and Jo! I am very glad that you like the photos, I look forward to showing you some of my finds shortly. Hope you are all well.

Amber said...

Hi Sandra! It looks like an amazing place... like a setting from a story book. I especially like the photos of the Roman palace and the sad bin.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you Amber! Glad you liked them. Good to hear from you.