Friday 6 May 2011

He didn't make the grade.

This is the last piece that I made for the enCOUNTER show, but he's still living in my kitchen. I feel slightly brave posting this picture, because I am not fond of this work. Even worse, I am not sure why. Is it because it's too literal? Would it have been better if the plant was more like a nineteenth century botanical drawing, and the man based on a vintage male doll, rather than a photograph? Sometimes I try a style that is less cute but often it doesn't work. I'll bet that if I hide this one away then look at it in six months' time I will instantly see exactly what's wrong. Making art is funny like that. (And maybe it's the case for many things in life?)
By the way, I have changed him since I took this photo last week. He now has closed eyes and the bottom half of his face is covered by a bud. Didn't help: he just looks weird, like he is stifling a sneeze.

5 comments:

A latte beckons said...

Even though I like this piece, I wonder if it's his expression that seems to not quite fit? Most of your people are serenely resigned to the odd situations they find themselves in, but this guy seems slightly self-conscious with his ironic eyebrows and furrowed brow. He looks a bit like he's been cut and pasted and isn't very comfortable where he's ended up... Of course I don't know what he looks like now!

rasamalai said...

I'd love to see an updated picture! :D
I think it's very well done. A 19th century botanical drawing sounds absolutely bright!
Then again, if you look at it in 6 months you might like it! I wouldn't have guessed you are not fond of him had you not said so :)

Sandra Eterovic said...

Kate -- you hit the nail on the head. In fact, after reading your comment, I thought about it all day! Thank you very much indeed. :)

Rasamalai -- sorry I didn't put the newer version in, it's just laziness on my part! Thank you, maybe I will like him more in 6 months' time, or maybe I will appreciate that he taught me something.

Elaine Prunty said...

in the words of bill withers " who is he and what is he to you?

listen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbUGkouIPg and then confess all....

Sandra Eterovic said...

Always loooverly to hear from you Elaine. Brilliant question. I am not sure who he is, but the IDEA of him means something to me -- but the reality doesn't match it... Ha ha -- sounds like suspiciously like an element of my romantic history!!!
;)