Saturday 4 December 2010

Rags to Riches II

I took Thea's advice and opened my giant circus book the other day. It is so full of incredible images that I am beyond words. The photo below of performer Zelda Boden, taken in the 191o's, so intrigued me that I had to do something with it.
I actually painted this picture a couple of weeks ago when my back was at its most sore, and it took a while to get it right. My memory of exactly how and why I connected the headdress to scraps of food packaging has faded. I know that one of my inspirations was the work of the brilliant Rob McHaffie, a Melbourne artist whose work I love, and whose blog I stalk occasionally and write incredibly inane comments. (Intelligence of comment and admiration of work have an inverse relationship as far as I am concerned.)

A print of her is in the shop, by the way.

4 comments:

Betty Jo said...

LOVE! (pardon the non intelligence of my word!!!)

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hee hee! Thanks so much Liz. I am very pleased that you like it.
:)

rigel said...

What an incredible image. I can definitely understand how it has inspired your gorgeous painting.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Yes, it is an amazing image. And she looks strangely contemporary in other images in the book. Thanks Rigel!