Thursday 19 November 2009

Lessons in Australiana!

An important lesson about Australia for foreign readers of this blog (hello dear cousins!). Here, kangaroos deliver our strawberries...
Butterflies guard our homes (this one is quite close to mine actually)...

Pineapples help us to see...

...and our ubiquitous tomato sauce comes via a koala.

The last three images are from Barry Humphries' Treasury of Australian Kitsch, Melbourne, 1980 (though most of the images in the book seem at least ten years older). This book is out of print as far as my brief internet investigation has gleaned. Why, oh why?!

4 comments:

Mad Cat Lady said...

oh is that what that kangeroo is doing. I mistook its actions for something else.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Mad Cat Lady! I think you're right!

Hi Tony, do you mean "good" as in good that you can't get Barry Humphries' book anymore? You know not of its many wonders.............................................................

paula said...

so is the butterfly house in richmond, near swan st? if so, it's my friends house! there's another one in brunswick too...

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Paula, I think it is the one in Richmond -- though I haven't taken my book down there and compared the two. I'd love to see the one in Brunswick! I can well imagine it among the wonders of that suburb........Thanks!